What's your purpose?

A question demands an answer.  But some answers never come.  What was my Dad's purpose?  What was my Mom's purpose?  Now that they are both gone I'm not sure if I know the answer.  I think in their minds they had some kind of an answer formulated in their minds.  Nothing written down that I am aware of.  It seems the written word is the one thing that stands the test of time.  And as far as I know the first written words were in the beginning.

So is your purpose to be happy?  I think that should definitely be one of your purposes.  How can you be happy in the middle of all of this nonsense that is swirling all around us?  My thinking has led me around to Jesus.  I think I am much like C. S. Lewis even though I know little about him.  I am confident to say as I write these words that the legacy he left behind was the words that he wrote.

I guess he was best known as a science fiction fantasy writer who also wrote about Christianity.  That is an interesting combination.  My Dad liked to read this Imprimus newsletter from Hillsdale College.  I guess he would talk a little bit about politics and religion sometimes, but I picked up the basic understanding that he agreed pretty much along the lines of that newsletter.  And basically I feel the same.

So whatever a man believes should be fine.  But there comes these lines where what one man believes is juxtaposed up against what another man believes.  Such as in the case with the Civil War.

I liked reading about Gettysburg and learning that there was this political machine known as Tammany Hall up in New York City.  I saw a big memorial at Gettysburg battlefield saying Tammany Regiment Memorial.  I wasn't familiar with the word but I think I had heard it before sometime in my life.  Tammany Hall.  Should have been taught in history class and maybe it was.

So that little argument finally came to a close.  Sherman was teaching down south in Louisiana and he said in one of his lectures, or perhaps this was written in a letter, again back to the written word, he said there wasn't any way the south could ever win a war against the north and once the south declared war from their capital building in Abbeville, South Carolina.

See also

Secession Hill, just east of modern-day Secession Street in Abbeville, South Carolina


Secession Hill Abbeville, South Carolina


secession convention in Columbia, South Carolina





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weight Game

Vaccine passport.